[netCDFJava #RUP-211659]: toolsUI

Greetings Fan!

> Hi.
>
> I am looking for an easy way to translate netcdf data between .nc/.cdl
> and .ncml.

I'm not sure I understand the question correctly, but are you trying to make an
NCML representation of the metadata in a netCDF file? If so, toolsUI is your
tool :-) However, it gets better! You can use the netCDF Java library from the
command line to write out the NCML file for you, like so:

java -classpath toolsUI.jar ucar.nc2.NCdump <NetCDF-3 filename> -ncml

or, if you have the netCDF C library installed, go for:

ncdump -x <NetCDF filename>

Check out  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/ncml/ for more info,
including all the fun ways you can use NCML in enhance the metadata within a
netCDF file. Now, if this is not all what you were looking for, them I
apologize for missing the boat. Please let me know if this answers your
question!

Cheers!

Sean

> I thought such tools might have existed already so without
> writing new Java classes, I wonder if I can use things like toolsUI in
> the command line for such purposes.  Any other tools that can serve?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Fan

Ticket ID: RUP-211659
Department: Support netCDF Java