[netCDFJava #BNA-191717]: chunking in Java

Hi Jeff and Russ,

Just wanted to clarify what appears to be some version number confusion:

- Jeff is using the netCDF-Java library (stable version is 4.3.21)
- Russ is talking about the netCDF-C library (stable is 4.3.2).

Hope that helps,

Ethan

Jeff Johnson wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> > Thanks for the additional info. I will be using release 4.3.21 (or later)
> > regardless of what file format we ultimately end up using. You mentioned
> > that 4.3.2 should improve the default chunking, but the results I sent were
> > using newer than that release already, so it sounds like I shouldn't expect
> > any improvements on the NC4 files size at this point, correct?
>
> The improvement that netCDF C version 4.3.2 made was to change the default
> chunk size for 1-dimensional record variables to DEFAULT_CHUNK_SIZE bytes,
> where DEFAULT_CHUNK_SIZE is a configure-time constant with default value
> 4194304.  I'm surprised that using different chunk sizes made no difference
> in the file size, so I may try to duplicate your results to understand how
> that happened.
>
> --Russ

Ticket ID: BNA-191717
Department: Support netCDF