[netCDFJava #CIB-907867]: issue with mercator projection

Hi Ghansham:

Are you sure you need Mercator with elliptical earth, and not Transverse
Mercator (which uses an elliptical earth) ?

If you are sure, we would welcome a contribution from you to add that
projection. Best would be if you can do a pull request directly on the github
repository. Use the 4.5.3 branch would be best.

Thank you,
John

> I tried to go through the code and actual the issue is related to the fact
> that ucar.unidata.geoloc.projection.Mercator assumes eartg shape to be
> spherical while I expect it to be ellipsoidal with semi-major and
> semi-minor axes. I can add in the proj4 mercator implementation which
> allows semi major and minor axes for defining ellipsoidal shape with test
> dataset. And we can modify the ucar.nc2.dataset.transform.Mercator to pick
> ellipsoidal implementation when semi-major an minor axes is specified.
> Waiting to hear your point of view on this.
> regards
> Ghansham
> address@hidden> wrote:
>

> > Ghansham Sangar,
> >
> > Your Ticket has been received, and a Unidata staff member will review it
> > and reply accordingly. Listed below are details of this new Ticket. Please
> > make sure the Ticket ID remains in the Subject: line on all correspondence
> > related to this Ticket.
> >
> >     Ticket ID: CIB-907867
> >     Subject: issue with mercator projection
> >     Department: Support netCDF Java
> >

> > Please let us know how we can assist you further.
> >
> > Unidata User Support

Ticket ID: CIB-907867
Department: Support netCDF Java