Using NJ to read GRIB-2 NCEP datasets

John,

A Panoply user reported an issue with viewing NOAA NCEP forecast data that is
saved in GRIB-2 format. Since Panoply uses NJ to actually decode the datasets,
and as I haven’t been able figure out the problem looking at the NJ source
code, I’m passing this along to you.

The datasets are located at
ftp://ftp.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/nccf/com/gfs/prod/gfs.2014082112/

Specifically, we are looking at the files at approximately the middle of that
directory that have names like gfs.t12z.pgrbfNNN.grib2

The problem is that the information reported by NJ about the time interval for
the quantities in these files apepars to be wrong. For example, the
gfs.t12z.pgrbf384.grib2 dataset has 384-hour forecast information, which the
wgrib2 or grib2scan command-line tools report. However, NJ is returning the
quantities as 144-hour average.

There are time interval errors occuring with other datasets, e.g., the 24-hour
forecast quantities in gfs.t12z.pgrbf24.grib2 are instead reported as 6-hour
average.

rbs

--
Robert B. Schmunk