Re: 19990107: building under HP-UX 10.20

Ken,

In the above message, you wrote:

>      Step 4 says to modify the file perl/Makefile.PL, if
>      necessary.  I didn't think I had to do this with HP-UX 10.20, but I
>      wonder if you could verify that.

The contents of perl/Makefile.PL depend on the environment; thus there's
no easy answer as to whether the file should be modified.  The proof is
in the results of the "make perl/all" command.

>      When I moved onto step 5, running make, I get loads of errors that
>      seem to be coming from the compilation (cc) stage.

I'll need to see those errors (see below).

>      I attempted to redirect the standard error but was unsuccessful at
>      this.  I am able to redirect standard output without a problem
>      ("make >netcdf.out") but have problems sending standard error to a
>      file ("make 2>netcdf.err" or "make >netcdf.out 2>netcdf.err").  The
>      first option tries to take "2" as a command parameter to make, rather
>      than redirecting the error.  The second one yields a "Ambiguous
>      redirect output" error.

It appears that you're using a csh-like shell.  For such a shell,
standard output and standard error can be simultaneously redirected to
the *same* file by the following syntax:

    command >&! file

csh-like shells cannot redirect standard output and standard error
independently and, frankly, I wouldn't want to see such output anyway:
diagnosing problems is much easier when error messages are sequentially
interspersed with their associated commands.

>      Anyway, I hope this makes some sense to you and hope you can help me
>      with this.

Please do the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level netcdf-perl source directory.

    2.  Execute the command "make >&! make.log".  If an error occurs,
        then stop and send me the file.

--------