20000725: netcdf-perl build problem using perl 5.6: `na' undeclared

Rob,

>Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 11:28:55 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Rob Cermak <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20000725: netcdf-perl build problem using perl 5.6: `na'
>undeclared

> That worked.  What does POLLUTE=1 do?

I don't know exactly.  Here's what perl's INSTALL file says:

    =head1 WARNING:  This version requires an extra step to build old
    extensions.

    5.005_53 and later releases do not export unadorned
    global symbols anymore.  This means you may need to build older
    extensions that have not been updated for the new naming convention
    with:

            perl Makefile.PL POLLUTE=1

    Alternatively, you can enable CPP symbol pollution wholesale by
    building perl itself with:

            sh Configure -Accflags=-DPERL_POLLUTE

    pod/perldelta.pod contains more details about this.

Apparently, the "naming convention" has recently changed.

Regards,