20020218: FDESC3 array

Tyler,

> To: <address@hidden>
> From: "Tyler Cruickshank" <address@hidden>
> Subject: FDESC3 array

> I have what I hope is a simple question. I have used docs, FAQ, and
> the web search tool to search the mailing list archives for the answer
> to my question. No luck though!
>
> I am using the perl PDL-NetCDF module for data extraction from a
> NetCDF file. My code works on all files that I have tried except for
> one. My error message is essentially "Cant find variable "X". I tried
> the variations I could think of but no go. I then asked the developers
> of the code that produced the file and they werent overly helpful except
> to say:
>
> The only thing that comes to mind that might be different from files
> created by other programs is that SMOKE does use the FDESC3 array. If
> you aren't accounting for this array (or assuming that it's blank)
> when you read the I/O API header, perhaps that could cause a problem.
>
> Im wondering if you are familiar with this and if so, I how I might
> write my code differently.
>
> Thanks for your help and time.
>
> -Tyler

I'm afraid that I have no idea what you're talking about. We do have
a Perl extension module interface to the netCDF package. It's called
NetCDFPerl and we created it ourselves. It, however, doesn't know about
"PDL", "SMOKE", or "FDESC3".

If the creators of the Perl module that you're using won't help, then
I'm afraid you're on your own.

Regards,