20050119: netCDF-Perl: perl not found

Bhushan,

> To: address@hidden
> From: bhushan gaude <address@hidden>

> I am configuring the LAS 6.4.2.0 and i was asked to manually install
> netcdf-perl-1.2.1.It is present in my las s/w  which i downloaded.I
> have gone through the INSTALL file which  has 9 steps.  As per 2 nd
> step i have modified the  CUSTOMIZE file .  And as per step 3 i have
> run the ./configure command i get following:

> checking for manual-page index command...
> checking for perl utility... /usr/local/bin/perl

The configure(1) script determined that your perl(1) utility is
/usr/local/bin/perl.  Is it?

> checking for perl manual page directory... /usr/share/man
> checking for neqn... (cached) neqn
> checking for tbl... (cached) tbl
> checking for C compiler... /usr/bin/cc
> checking type of operating system... linux
> checking for tar flags... -chof
> checking for netCDF header-file... -I/usr/local/include
> checking for netCDF library... -I/usr/local/lib
> checking for package version... 1.2
> creating ./config.status
> creating Makefile
> creating perl/Makefile.PL
> creating port/master.mk
> creating port/Makefile
> expanding `include's in file `Makefile'
> expanding `include's in file `perl/Makefile.PL'
> expanding `include's in file `port/master.mk'
> expanding `include's in file `port/Makefile'
>

> Then according to step 4  i run the  make perl/Makefile
> it proceeds as follows:
>
> cd perl && /usr/local/bin/perl Makefile.PL POLLUTE=1
> /bin/sh: line 1: /usr/local/bin/perl: No such file or directory
> make: *** [perl/Makefile] Error 127

The above appears to indicate that either /usr/local/bin/perl or
perl/Makefile.PL doesn't exist.  Because the configure(1) script
indicates that it created the file perl/Makefile.PL, I will assume that
/usr/local/bin/perl is not a working perl(1) utility.

In order to use a different perl(1) utility, you must tell the
configure(1) script the pathname of the perl(1) utility before executing
the script.

Please try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source-directory of the package.

    2.  Execute the following command

            make distclean

    3.  Perform step 2, described near the end of the file INSTALL.

    4.  Set the environment variable PERL to the absolute pathname of
        the perl(1) utility.  For example

            export PERL=/bin/perl

    5.  Perform steps 3 through 9, described near the end of the file
        INSTALL.

Please let me know if this helps.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson