[netCDFPerl #YBC-888791]: netcdf perl module

Hi Julie,

> Someone has requested the netcdf.pm module,
> which appears to be included in the netcdf-perl
> package. I've tried to install it on our big AIX system
> bluevista, but am having problems.
>
> Our Perl is 32-bit, but our netCDF library
> appears to contain 64-bit objects. Do we
> need to build a 32-bit netCDF?

Yes.  In general, the "perl" utility, the netCDF library,
and the netCDF Perl extension modle must all be built
using the same programming environment.

> Ideally, we would like to build this package
> 64-bit, and we consider 32-bit the exception.
> But if that is all the netcdf-perl package will
> run with, we can build a 32-bit netCDF.
>
> Now if I "make" netcdf-perl 64-bit, it complains
> because Perl is 32-bit (I think):
>
> LD_RUN_PATH="" ld  -bhalt:4 -bM:SRE -bI:/usr/opt/perl5/lib/5.8.2/aix-
> thread-multi/CORE/perl.exp -bE:NetCDF.exp -bnoentry -lpthreads -lc_r
> NetCDF.o  -o blib/arch/auto/NetCDF/NetCDF.so
> ld: 0711-738 ERROR: Input file NetCDF.o:
> XCOFF32 object files are not allowed in 64-bit mode.
>
> and if I build it 32-bit it complains about undefined symbols
> for the netCDF library.)
>
> Thanks for any advice,

I suggest installing a 64-bit version of perl.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: YBC-888791
Department: Support netCDF Perl