Re: 960926: Compiling FORTRAN programs

>From address@hidden Wed Sep 25 20:43:26 1996
>Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 10:43:26 +1000
>From: address@hidden
>To: address@hidden
>Subject: Compiling FORTRAN programs

Hi Ari,

> I am trying to compile the fortran example downloaded with the netcdf-2.3.4
> using the following commands
>
> f77 -c -I /usr/local/netcdf-2.4.3/include example.f
> f77 -v -o example example.o -L/usr/local/netcdf-2.4.3/lib -lnetcdf
>
> However I am getting the following error messages:
>
> ld:
> Unresolved:
> nccre_
> ncddef_
> ncvdef_
> ncendf_
> ncvpt_
> ncclos_

This means that the Fortran interface to the netCDF library was
apparently not built when your netCDF library was built and installed,
because NCCRE, NCDDEF, ... are all names of Fortran interface routines.

It's possible to build and install the netCDF library without the
Fortran interface by specifying FC="" (no Fortran compiler) when the
configure script that creates the Makefiles is first run, so maybe
that's what happened.

If you still have the netCDF source around, you can recreate the library
to include the Fortran interface, starting from scratch, reversing
whatever you did to specify a null value for FC (as an environment
variable or in the file CUSTOMIZE)

  make clean; ./configure --prefix=<whatever>; make all test install

Check the INSTALL file for complete directions.

--Russ

P.S.  Questions like this should probably be set to
      address@hidden rather than to
      address@hidden, since the latter address is a
      mailing list for discussions and announcements.  Thanks.