970227: netcdf-3.3a "make test" error

John,

In the above message, you wrote:

> > Would you please send me a recap of the problem.  Please include the
> > following:
> >
> >     Standard output of `uname -a`
> >     Standard output of the `configure' script.
> >     Standard output of a `make'.
>
> All tacked on the bottom of this mail...

This problem appears to be one for the netCDF-3 creator, Glenn Davis.
I'll forward it to him.

> BTW, any luck figuring out what the problem was with the tar file?  It
> appeared to be installing directories as plain files.  This ends up
> giving you stuff like:
>
> cmd-3746 tar: x netcdf-3.3a, 0 bytes, 0 tape blocks
> cmd-1004 tar: Cannot create 'netcdf-3.3a/src'.
> cmd-3749 tar: mkdir 'netcdf-3.3a/src' failed: Not a directory
> cmd-1004 tar: Cannot create 'netcdf-3.3a/src/INSTALL'.

I've only seen this once before and it was on the same system.  I
suspect that your tar(1) is broken.

[Talking about building the netCDF package on a T3D or T3E]
> Painful??

You have to use a special I/O library that's supplied by CRI (called
`par_io' for `parallel I/O').  We don't have it.  Here's something
relevant from the netCDF support email archive: