Re: 20000712: help netcdf asci

>To: address@hidden
>cc: address@hidden
>From: Mihai Dima <address@hidden>
>Subject: help netcdf asci

Hi Mihai,

>     My name is Mihai Dima. I try to transfer the
> reanalysis data (wind at 500 mb from uwnd.mon.mean.nc file)
> in asci. How I can do this in an efficient way?
> There is a special routine?
> I've already write a short program but I get only
> integers numbers and not wind values!

The data is not stored in ASCII form, but as netCDF files.  NetCDF is
a machine-independent standard for accessing array-oriented scientific
data.  Therefore, if you are trying to transfer the data from one
computer to another using FTP, you must use BINARY mode rather than
ASCII.

In order to read netCDF data, you need to use a program that can
import data in netCDF form or write a program that uses the netCDF
interfaces to access the data.  For more information on netCDF, see

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/

A list of programs that can access netCDF data is here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/software.html
or
  http://www.gfdl.gov/~jps/GFDL_VG_NetCDF_Utils.html

In particular, you might want to look at the Climate Research Data
Tools available here:

  http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/cdc/crdtools/crdtools.html

--Russ