20040315: netCDF installation problems under Linux ia64

Dear Nektarios Polonides,

> To: address@hidden
> From: NEKTARIOS POLONIDES <address@hidden>
> Subject: netCDF installation problems

> I have some problems in installing netCDF. I attached
> the stanard output of the command uname -a
> configure
> make
> make test
> make install.
>
> I would be grateful if you could help me.

The output of your "make" command:

    make[1]: Entering directory
`/home/nektarios/Models3/CMAQ/npolo/lib/netCDF/netcdf-3.4/src'

seems to indicate that you are using version 3.4 of the netCDF package.
If this is true, then please switch to version 3.5.1, which is available
at

    ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.Z

The compile lines for the netCDF library:

    make[2]: Entering directory
`/home/nektarios/Models3/CMAQ/npolo/lib/netCDF/netcdf-3.4/src/libsrc'
    g77 -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG -DsunFortran attr.c
    g77 -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG -DsunFortran dim.c
    g77 -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG -DsunFortran error.c

indicate that the g77(1) compiler is used as the C compiler.  This
is probably not good.  You should set the environment variable CC to
the absolute pathname of the C compiler (rather than the Fortran-77
compiler) before executing the "configure" script.

The compilation lines also indicate that the Fortran-calling-C
conventions are those of the Sun Fortran compiler.  Again, this is
probably not what you want.  If you want to use gcc(1) and g77(1) as the
C and Fortran compilers, then you should ensure that the environment
variable CPPFLAGS contains the string "-Df2cFortran".

Please try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Perform steps 3 and 4 described at

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/INSTALL.html#ReportingProblems

    3.  Set the following environment variables to the indicated values:

            Environment Variable        Value
            --------------------        -----
            CC                          /usr/bin/gcc
            CPPFLAGS                    -DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran
            CFLAGS                      -O
            FC                          /usr/bin/g77
            FFLAGS                      -Wno-globals
            CXX                         /usr/bin/g++

    4.  Perform steps 6 through 9 described at

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/INSTALL.html#ReportingProblems

Please let me know if this helps.

> Yours sincerely
>
> Nektarios Polonides
>
> Environmental Engineering Laboratory
> Department  of Engineering and Management of Energy
> Resources
> Hellenic Rebublic Aristottle University of
> Thessaloniki /Greece
> Tel: +302310991307
> http://www.auth.gr/enman/ - address@hidden

Regards,