[netCDF #MPL-618419]: Problem building in cygwin.

> Hi Ed,
>
> Thanks so much for hanging in with me. First, I want to say, for free
software, I'm really impressed by your support.  I think we'll get this to work
(unfortunately it
> didn't quite happen yet) and when it does I promise to check on your site to
see if there's a 'donations' link.  I must admit, I've never done that before
with gpl or open source software, and although I'm sure you have a decent
income source for this, I truly think you guys are great and clearly deserve
something in return
> for providing this level of support.

Thanks for the kind words!

As for the offer of donations, the National Science Foundation has got it
covered for you. However, you are already contributing to netCDF: your
experiences with netCDF will improve our documentation or distribution, because
when I figure out what the heck is going on with your code I will make sure it
doesn't happen again to someone else. ;-)

> Here's what happened.  I tried just what you said.  It made a lot of sense so
I was hopeful it would work.  It has the same complaint. I've looked at it and
have a clearer idea aobut what's happening so, hopefully, I can explain it
better. I think the cleanest way to explain this is to show you the libraries
it built in
> the corresponding subdirectories so you can understand what the linkers error
messages are refering to.

<snip>

> To my untrained eyes the first line looks like it would delete the whole
.libs/libnetcdff.lax directory (its under "fortran" at the time) and all it's
contents (which it
> doesn't apparently do) and then on the next line it goes down into that
directory and, I *think* - but I'm not used to this syntax - it tries to merge
the contents of /fortran/.lib/libnetcdff90.a (or perhaps create it) with
content from the library of the same name under the f90 directory.  Because I
don't know this syntax, I admittedly find this very confusing, although it may
look obvious to some of you. (If not, you should have one of your
script/makefile experts take a look at this.)
> And this is where it barfs.
>
> I think this is probably enough information for a makefile expert to figure
out what's really happening.  This stuff is like black magic to me.  Simple,
basic
> makefiles I understand. But these kinds of redirected library merges - I
think that's what's going on here - is way outside my expertise in this area.

We use autoconf/automake/libtool to allow netcdf to build and test on a very
wide variety of platforms. In general it is not worthwhile to spend too much
time figuring out what it is trying to do in individual cases. There's a lot of
weird crap going on, but that's OK, because it's not *my* weird crap.

However this should work, since I build on cygwin every night and it is a very
well behaved platform. I need you to send me the complete output of configure
and make check, and also the config.log. Yes, this is a lot of text, but that's
OK. Just paste it in the body of your email and send it to me, and I will see
if I can figure out what is going on.

> I can't believe this is a platform-related issue concerning gmake - that
should behave the same on cygwin as anywhere.  So, either there's a problem
with your
> makefiles or, far more likely, there is some make option or some environment
variable(s) I need to set.  Cygwin tends to be pretty non-standard wrt
environment
> variables compared to, say , linux.
>
> Finally, I'm attaching the config.log for this build attempt.  Let me know if
you want to me send the Makefiles as well. Thanks again for all your help.

> -Mike

Unfortunately, no attachment - did you forget?

I need the output of configure and make check as well. If you didn't save it,
just do a "make distclean" and start over, saving all the output.

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: MPL-618419
Department: Support netCDF