[netCDF #ZHE-231758]: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/archives/netcdfgroup/2008 /msg00189.html

Hi Terri,

> I am just running into this problem with some of our
> users who are still running 3.6.3:
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/archives/netcdfgroup/2008/msg00189.html
>
> But I noticed that your download page still has an older
> version than the date of this message. Do you have source
> that you distribute with the patch already applied?

The patch was applied to the versions distributed after 3.6.3,
including 4.0.1, and 4.1.1.

I would recommend getting he most recent release, 4.1.1, and just
building it with the configure option "--disable-netcdf-4" if you only
want the netCDF-3 libraries and format.  You don't even need to
specify "--disable-netcdf-4" if you build on a system that has no HDF5
libraries visible to the configure script.  Only the version 3
"classic" netCDF libraries will be built in that case, by default.

Similarly, if you want netCDF libraries built without client support
for OPeNDAP protocols, also specify the configure option
"--disable-dap".  That will be the default if you build on a system
that has no curl libraries visible to the configure script.

Other netCDF-3 bugs and portability problems have been fixed since the
3.6.3 release, but only incorporated in the single combined netCDF-4
releases.  We haven't maintained separate netCDF-3 and netCDF-4
branches because the combined release offers the same functionality
and make testing and development more practical.

If you encounter problems building or using netCDF-3 libraries from
the combined release, please let us know.

--Russ

Ticket ID: ZHE-231758
Department: Support netCDF