[netCDF #ZUW-761841]: Re: [netcdfgroup] problem during ./configuration

Hi Hongyan,

> I met a problem when ./configure --prefix=...
>
> checking for /usr/bin/nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
> checking nm flags...
> checking for C-equivalent to Fortran routine "SUB"...
> pgf90 9.0-4 64-bit target on x86-64 Linux -tp nehalem-64
> Copyright 1989-2000, The Portland Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
> Copyright 2000-2009, STMicroelectronics, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
> configure: error: Could not compile conftest.f
>
> The setting in my ~/.bashrc is:
>
> 18 export BIN=Linux2_x86pg
> 19
> 20 #configuration from
> http://www.pgroup.com/resources/netcdf/netcdf362_pgi80.htm
> 21 export CC=pgcc
> 22 export CFLAGS="-O2 -Msignextend -V"
> 23 export F77=pgf90
> 24 export FC=pgf90
> 25 export F90=pgf90
> 26 export FFLAGS="-02 -w -V"
> 27 # export CXX=pgcpp
> 28 export CXX=pgCC
> 29 export CPPFLAGS="-DNDEBUG -DpgiFortran -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE"
>
> Can anybody please tell me what's wrong with it? Thank you!

Those settings may not be right for the version of netCDF you are
trying to build.  The instructions from the Portland Group at the above URL are

  ... for the release 3.6.2 of netCDF and PGI Release 7.1 or PGI Release
  8.0 pgf90 and pgcc compilers.

If you have just downloaded the latest version of netCDF-4.1.1, you should
not follow those instructions, but instead just let the configure script
determine the right settings to use.  If you only want the netCDF-3 interfaces,
you can specify the configure flag "--disable-netcdf-4" or just make sure you
don't have an HDF5 library installed on the system where you are building
netCDF.

For example, here's settings that should work:

  CC=cc CXX=c++ FC=pgf95 FCFLAGS=-g F77=pgf95 FFLAGS=-g

invoking the configure script with

  configure --disable-netcdf-4 make check install

There are more complicated instructions available here for various versions
of netCDF and PG compiler, in case you run into trouble:

  http://www.pgroup.com/resources/tips.htm#NETCDF

The errors you were seeing in config.log are intentional, and just part of
configure testing the environment to determine various settings ...

--Russ

Ticket ID: ZUW-761841
Department: Support netCDF