[netCDF #JZS-162412]: NETCDF make test problems

Hi Emily,

> I am attempting to build netcdf on my Dell Precision computer with a
> processor:  x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux on CENTOS.
>
> The Configure and Make processes appear to complete successfully and
> produce the required files.  However, when I type make test, I receive
> some errors.  Originally it states:
>
> PASS: tst_ncgen4_classic.sh
> ===================
> All 11 tests passed
> ===================
> make[4]: Leaving Leaving directory `/usr/local/netcdf/netcdf-4.1.1/ncdump'
>
> but at the end of the test, it states:
> /usr/local/netcdf/netcdf-4.1.1/nf_test/util.F:731: undefined reference to
> `nf_def_dim_'
> /usr/local/netcdf/netcdf-4.1.1/nf_test/util.F:734: undefined reference to
> `nf_def_dim_'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [nf_test] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [check-am] Error 2
> make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
>
> Are these serious errors and what exactly do they mean?

Yes, they are serious errors if you need to use the netCDF Fortran interface.
They
indicate a problem in calling C functions from Fortran, which is how the
Fortran-77
netCDF API is implemented.

If you don't need the Fortran-77 or Fortran-90 API, you can rebuild from
source,
specifying that they not be included, by setting the environment variables
F77=''
and FC='' before invoking the configure script.

If you need the Fortran netCDF library, then we'll need more details to
diagnose the
problem, as described here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/netcdf-install/Reporting-Problems.html

If you have a commercial Fortran compiler from Intel or Portland Group, there
are links
to vendor sites for compiler settings know to work with those compilers on the
netCDF home page:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/

--Russ

Ticket ID: JZS-162412