[netCDF #OIZ-744996]: issue installing netcdf

Hi Alex,

> I'm attempting to install netdcdf version 4.1.1 without hdf5 or shared
> libraries. the Configure flags I am using are: - --disable-dap
> --disable-netcdf-4 --disable-shared. Attached are the log files

The symptom of the problem is make all producing:

  Making all in man4
  make[2]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/g4work/netcdf-4.1.1/man4'
  TEXINPUTS=".:$TEXINPUTS" \
  MAKEINFO='/bin/sh /cygdrive/c/g4work/netcdf-4.1.1/missing --run makeinfo   -I
.' \
  texi2dvi -s  --pdf --batch netcdf.texi
  This is e-TeXk, Version 3.141592-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
   file:line:error style messages enabled.
   %&-line parsing enabled.
  ---! /var/lib/texmf/web2c/etex.fmt was written by pdfetex
  (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)

The solution, from Ed's response to another user, is:

  Did you do a make clean?

  Just before the release I noticed that make clean removes the
  documentation, and that causes it to attempt to be rebuilt again. If
  you don't have all the tools, that doesn't work.

  Although I spent a day trying to get this to work, in the end I had
  to do the release. The workaround is to unpack the netCDF
  distribution tarball again, which will replace the
  documentation. Another workaround is to just ignore the problem. If
  "make check" works up to the point where the documentation is built,
  then all the netCDF tests passed (except the examples), and you can
  do a "make install."

  Of course, now that the pressure is off, I tried again and managed
  (I think) to fix the problem in ten minutes. Software development
  can be so exciting sometimes. ;-)

  I have checked in my change, and it will appear in the daily
  snapshot release and in future versions of netCDF.

--Russ

Ticket ID: OIZ-744996
Department: Support netCDF