[Support #KXN-708789]: How to intall and compile program with netcdf

Hi,

> I very new to fortran and netcdf. I have cygwin installed
> on my pc. I want to run sample program available at
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-tutorial/simple_005fxy_005fwr_002ef90.html#simple_005fxy_005fwr_002ef90.
>
> Kindly can someone guide me step by step how should I install first
> netcdf binaries and then run the sample program.

Here's advice on installing netCDF version 4.1.1 on a Windows system
that has cygwin installed:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/faq.html#windows_netcdf4

NetCDF (including the Fortran-90 API) reportedly builds and works well
under Cygwin, using the gfortran compiler.  If you have the cygwin
environment installed, you should be able to just follow the instructions
for building under Linux, which is basically

  1.  Get the source and unpack it
  2.  Set some environment variables for the cC and Fortran compilers
  3.  Run the "configure" script with appropriate options.  If you
      only need the netCDF-3 APIs, for example, you could use
      "--disable-netcdf-4".
  4.  Run "make all check" to compile the libraries and utilities and
      check them. This will include compiling and checking the
      examples, such as simple_xy_wr.f90.
  5.  Run "make install" to install the libraries and utilities, to
      make it easier to compile and link applications.

--Russ

Ticket ID: KXN-708789
Department: Support netCDF