[netCDF #JZS-162412]: NETCDF make test problems

Emily,

> Thank you very much for your help. I was wondering what programs
> require the FORTRAN libraries. I intend to Install WRF and the MET
> statistical program, so if possible I would like to use fortran
> compilers. I just installed g95 binaries and set that to be used
> instead of GFORTRAN, but there still appear to be problems. I have
> included each file as an attachment. For some reason I cant fit all
> of the make output into a text file but it shows where most of the
> problems are. Thank you very much for your time!!

None of the netCDF utilities we provide require the Fortran libraries,
but I think WRF does and MET doesn't, so I assume you want to get the
Fortran API working.

The output you sent from configure shows that you specified you didn't
want the Fortran APIs, so they weren't built or tested:

  checking whether FC is set to ''... yes
  checking whether F90 is set to ''... yes
  checking whether F77 API is desired... no
  checking whether any Fortran API is desired... no
  checking whether F90 API is desired... no

but otherwise the output from "make test" looked OK, showing all tests
passed.

The WRF tutorial says:

  As a general rule for LINUX systems, make sure
  the netCDF and MPI libraries are installed using
  the same compiler (PGI, Intel, g95) that will be
  used to compile WRF.
  http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/tutorial/201001/carson_wrf_wps_compile.pdf

so if you're going to use g95 rather than gfortran, you should make
sure the WRF you installed uses the g95 also.

Assuming you will use g95, just run "make clean" and set the FC environment
variable to "g95".  I notice you've also set the CPPFLAGS to "-Df2cFortran".
That may work, but the configure in netcdf-4.1.1 is supposed to figure out
CPPFLAGS, depending on the compilers, so you shouldn't need to set it.

Then invoke the configure script and if that works, "make check", followed
by "make install".

--Russ

Ticket ID: JZS-162412
Department: Support netCDF