[netCDF #TLV-493188]: Netcdf make test problems

Hi Emily,

> I followed all of your previous advice, but kept on running into problems
> with my g95 compiler.  I am now using GFORTRAN and getting much farther but
> I still am running into problems in the make process.  I have attached my
> latest configure files and maketest files. I am passing most of the tests
> until the very end where i receive errors 127 and 1- I am not sure how to
> figure out what these errors mean.  I am using version 4.1.1.  Thank you
> again so much for your time- I really appreciate it!!

The symptom you are seeing at the end of running "make check" :

> Making check in man4
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/netcdf/netcdf-4.1.1/man4'
> TEXINPUTS=".:$TEXINPUTS" \
>       MAKEINFO='/bin/sh /usr/local/netcdf/netcdf-4.1.1/missing --run makeinfo
>   -I .' \
>       texi2dvi -s  --pdf --batch netcdf.texi
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/netcdf/netcdf-4.1.1/man4'
> /bin/sh: texi2dvi: command not found
> make[1]: *** [netcdf.pdf] Error 127
> make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1

is not your problem, but a bug in the 4.1.1 release that occurs when
you build the software, then invoke "make clean", then try to build it
again, perhaps with different settings, in the original directory.
The bug is that "make clean" deleted generated documentation files
that it should not have removed, so when you try to build again, it
tries to rebuild the documentation from source, requiring a tool you
don't have installed (and shouldn't need).

The easiest solution is to just get a new copy of the 4.1.1 source and
build and test with the same settings you used with gfortran.
Invoking "make check" should finish successfully, as long as you don't
invoke "make clean" first.

We have fixed this problem in the current snapshot and in the upcoming
4.1.2 release, but I will also add a note about it in the document
"Known Problems with netCDF 4.1.1" document at

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/known_problems.html

Thanks for pointing this out, and for your persistence in getting netCDF
to build.  Please let us know if you still encounter problems with building
and testing netCDF.

--Russ

Ticket ID: TLV-493188
Department: Support netCDF