[netCDF #NJD-981571]: gennet.f

Hi Anh,

> My name's Anh. Iam a student in Hanoi university of science. Iam doing
> exercises
> about using FORTRAN to read netCDF files. I have some error with
> running gennet.f. Iam using Window Xp and  fortran 95. I downloaded  netcdf -
> 4.1.1-win32 from link
>
> binary
> (ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/win32/netcdf-4.1.1-win32-bin.zip)
> I opened fortran software, choose TOOL / options../ directories and paste link
> of it ( C:\netcdf-4.1.1-win32 ) /ok.
> I was complied, it's ok. But when building gennet.exe, it has errors.
> Linking...
> gennet.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _NCAINQ@28
> gennet.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _NCANAM@24
> gennet.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _NCVINQ@36
> gennet.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _NCAGTC@32
> gennet.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _NCDINQ@24
> gennet.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _NCINQ@24
> gennet.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _NCOPN@16
> gennet.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 7 unresolved externals
> Error executing link.exe.
> gennet.exe - 8 error(s), 0 warning(s)
>
> Was these external symbol (ncainq, ncagtc,...)  in netcdf - 4.1.1-win 32 ? If
> not, where can I  find these
>
> external symbol ? Could you tell me the way to repair these error and send me
> Barry Schwartz's email.

The required functions are part of the netCDF-2 F77 interface.  I believe
they are in either win32-bin/netcdf.lib or win32-bin/netcdf.dll.  As it
says in our FAQ:

  NOTE: User Viet Eitner has contributed a port of 4.1.1 to Visual
  Studio, including an F90 port to Intel Fortran. Download source

(ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/win32/netcdf-4.1.1-win32-src.zip)
  or binary

(ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/win32/netcdf-4.1.1-win32-bin.zip)
  versions. This port was done before the code was refactored in
  4.1.2.

so we didn't write the modifications needed for Windows Visual Studio and
don't have the resources to support contributed software like this.  We
make it available in the hope that it will be useful, but for detailed
questions about it, you may have to contact the developer who created and
contributed it.

Another possibility would be to just compile the library functions you need from
the source, in the netcdf-4.1.1/fortran/fort-v2compat.c file.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but the Windows development for netCDF is on
hold until we have more time and resources, as explained here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/faq.html#windows_netcdf4_1

The gennet.f program is another user-contributed program that we make
available, but don't maintain or support at Unidata.  I don't have an
email address that works for Barry Schwartz, unfortunately.

--Russ

Ticket ID: NJD-981571
Department: Support netCDF