[netCDF #GMB-895383]: NetCDF C API for Windows 7?

Hi Anders,

> I've built a nice little application using your NetCDF C API. I'm using
> version 3.6.1, since that's the latest, apparently, that has been made
> accessible for Windows users. And everything runs well on my Windows XP.
>
> However, I have been unable to get the NetCDF library to work with Windows
> 7. I've tried the same approach as with XP, but with no luck. So what I've
> done is that I've created my program on XP, created an .exe file from it,
> but even that wont run on Windows 7.
>
> I'm writing you about my troubles to ask if Unidata is planning to restart
> support for Windows users with respect to the NetCDF C API? If not, could
> you perhaps help me out in my current situation. I'll provide you with more
> details about the error messages if you think it's relevant. Or do I simply
> have to get myself a Linux machine in order to use this library in the
> future?

We do plan to provide support for Windows users of the C-based netCDF software,
as described here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/faq.html#windows_netcdf4_1

As far as I know, you can build the current 4.1.1 distribution on Windows under
the cygwin development environment, as described in the installation guide.

We have an experimental --enable-dll option for the configure script that
can be used under the mingw development environment, that is designed to
generate what's needed to create and use dlls under the native Windows
development environment, but it probably still needs work, and we haven't
committed to supporting that approach yet.

--Russ

Ticket ID: GMB-895383
Department: Support netCDF