[netCDF #WPY-755710]: Reg. error while installing netCDF - Pls help

Hi Balaji,

> I am new to netCDF and trying to install it on my MAC OS X. I started with
> installing Zlib1.2.3 first, then hdf5-1.8.4 and finally netCDF4.1.1. While
> trying the last option in my MAC terminal, I got the following error.
>
> "
> .
> .
> .
>
> *** testing 4D example file in classic format...Sorry! Unexpected result,
> tst_vars.c, line: 188
> Sorry! Unexpected result, tst_vars.c, line: 190
> Sorry! Unexpected result, tst_vars.c, line: 188
> Sorry! Unexpected result, tst_vars.c, line: 190
> Sorry! Unexpected result, tst_vars.c, line: 1215
> Sorry! Unexpected result, tst_vars.c, line: 1216
> 6 failures
> *** testing 4D example file in 64-bit offset format...Sorry! Unexpected
> result, tst_vars.c, line: 188
> Sorry! Unexpected result, tst_vars.c, line: 190
> Sorry! Unexpected result, tst_vars.c, line: 188
> Sorry! Unexpected result, tst_vars.c, line: 190
> Sorry! Unexpected result, tst_vars.c, line: 1220
> Sorry! Unexpected result, tst_vars.c, line: 1221
> 6 failures
> *** testing 4D example file in netCDF-4/HDF5 format...Sorry! Unexpected
> result, tst_vars.c, line: 188
> Sorry! Unexpected result, tst_vars.c, line: 190
> Sorry! Unexpected result, tst_vars.c, line: 188
> Sorry! Unexpected result, tst_vars.c, line: 190
> Sorry! Unexpected result, tst_vars.c, line: 1225
> Sorry! Unexpected result, tst_vars.c, line: 1226
> 6 failures
> *** testing 4D example file in netCDF-4/HDF5 format with classic model
> rules...Sorry! Unexpected result, tst_vars.c, line: 188
> Sorry! Unexpected result, tst_vars.c, line: 190
> Sorry! Unexpected result, tst_vars.c, line: 188
> Sorry! Unexpected result, tst_vars.c, line: 190
> Sorry! Unexpected result, tst_vars.c, line: 1230
> Sorry! Unexpected result, tst_vars.c, line: 1231
> 6 failures
> 24 errors detected! Sorry!
> FAIL: tst_vars
>
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> *** Tests successful!
> PASS: tst_endian_fill
> 1 of 54 tests failed
> Please report to address@hidden
> make[2]: *** [check-TESTS] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [check-am] Error 2
> make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
>
> "

The netCDF-4.1.1 software builds OK here on Mac OS X, for a number of
different configure settings.  We are using Mac OS X 10.6.4 on an i386
architecture (the output of running "arch").  Later Mac laptops use
the 64-bit x86_64 architecture.  The version of cc that's included
with the latest Mac XCode tools builds for a 64-bit x86_64
architecture by default, so we build for the 32-bit i386 architecture
when invoked with either CFLAGS=-m32 or CFLAGS="-arch i386".  You may
not have to do this, depending on your architecture and version of cc.

Also some users have reported that With gcc version 4.5.0 rather than
the version of cc that's included with Mac OS XCode Tools, they had to
use CFLAGS="-O0" to turn off optimization so it would not fail
arithmetic tests with longs and doubles.  However, this doesn't seem
to be a problem with the /usr/bin/cc that comes with XCode Tools.

For Fortran, I've used either the g95 compiler or the gfortran
compiler, because I don't have access to a commercial compiler such as
the Intel Fortran compiler you're using.  The g95 compiler by default
builds for the 32-bit i386 architecture (so it's consistent with the
"cc -m32" invocation of the C compiler).  It also builds objects for
x86_64 with the -m64 option.

The gfortran compiler makes 64-bit x86_64 objects by default, so
should work with cc without the -m32 flag.

So here's two example builds that work OK for me on a new netCDF 4.1.1
distribution, each followed by "make check install"

  CC=cc CFLAGS='-g -m32' CXX=c++ CXXFLAGS='-g -m32' FC=g95 \
  FCFLAGS='-g -m32' F77=g95 FFLAGS='-g -O2' \
  ./configure --enable-netcdf-4 --with-hdf5=<HDF5_INSTALL_DIRECTORY>

  CC=cc CFLAGS='-g -m32' CXX=g++ CXXFLAGS='-g -m32' FC='gfortran -m32' \
  FCFLAGS='-g' F77='gfortran -m32' FFLAGS='-g -O2'  \
  CPPFLAGS='-DNDEBUG -DgFortran' LDFLAGS=-m32 \
  ./configure --enable-netcdf-4 --with-hdf5=<HDF5_INSTALL_DIRECTORY>

> Assuming this needs fortran and C++ compiler, I installed intel Fortran and
> C++ compiler before beginning installation of Zlib.Pls let me know if you
> need any additional details from me to help me in completing my installation.

If you still have problems, a problem report should include enough
information to reproduce the problem, which often requires the
information listed here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/netcdf-install/Reporting-Problems.html

You only need a Fortran or C++ compiler if you have use for the netCDF
Fortran or C++ library interfaces.  If you only need the C interface
(for example if you are building the netCDF library becasue it is
required by another program that only uses the C interface), then
there is no need to get a Fortran compiler or C++ compiler.

Also, you only need to install zlib and hdf5 if you will be making use
of netCDF-4 features, such as compression or features of the enhanced
netCDF data model.  If you are getting netCDF in order to read
netCDF-3 data or to use with other software that only requires
netCDF-3, then you do not need to install zlib or hdf5 first and you
can configure with the --disable-netcdf-4 option.  I'll assume you
have already determined that you need the features of netCDF-4.

> For installing Zlib, Hdf5 and netCDF, I used the following syntax.
> Zlib -
> ./configure --prefix=/home/ed/local
> make check install
> HDF5-
> ./configure --with-zlib=/home/ed/local --prefix=/home/ed/local
> --disable-shared
> make check install
>
> Setting environment variables
> * To build for Mac OS with the Intel Fortran Compiler and the Intel C++
> Compiler on an Intel® 64 system, export the following environment variables:
>
> $ export CC=icc
> $ export CXX=icpc
> $ export CFLAGS='-O3 -xT -ip -no-prec-div -m64'
> $ export CXXFLAGS='-O3 -xT -ip -no-prec-div -m64'
>
> $ export F77=ifort
> $ export FFLAGS='-O3 -xT -ip -no-prec-div -m64'

With Intel compilers on Mac OS X, another user has reported success
with the following:

  CC="icc"
  FC="ifort"
  CFLAGS='-O3 -xN -ip -no-prec-div -static'
  FFLAGS='-O3 -xN -ip -no-prec-div -static'

--Russ

Ticket ID: WPY-755710
Department: Support netCDF