[netCDFJava #IPI-729759]: subset across the grid boundary

Hi HansPeter,

The issue has come up before and is on our list. However, it isn't currently
close enough to the top of the list to have a timeline.

How are you using this data when you want to make a cross-seam subsetting
request? Are you using netCDF-java directly or accessing it in the IDV or some
other application that uses netCDF-java? Do you want to be able to make these
requests against data files on your local disk as well as remote data?

The netCDF-java library deals mainly with array index space rather than
lat/lon, this includes the gridded data API. The simplest solution might be to
provide some utility methods that client applications could use to construct
the appropriate queries and stitch together the results. There might be some
extensions to the API that would simplify things for the client application but
we would need to be careful not to change the current API in ways that would
affect existing code.

If you have any thoughts on what approach seems reasonable from your end, let
us know.

Thanks,

Ethan

HansPeter Roesli wrote:
> Hi -
>
> Every now and then, with a grib file at hand that spans 0° to 360°
> longitude (or 180° to '180°?), I stumble over the problem of not being
> able to subset it across the grid boundary at 0° (180°?). Of course,
> this problem can be overcome by subsetting the data set prior to the
> creation of the grib file, but this is not always convenient.
>
> It appears that this problem has to be solved at NetCDF-java level. I do
> not think to be the only user to request this, so I am sure it is
> somewhere on the to-do list. May I please ask you for a timeline when
> that could be done.
>
> Thank you very much for considering this issue, HP
> Hi -
>
> Every now and then, with a grib file at hand that spans 0° to 360°
> longitude (or 180° to '180°?), I stumble over the problem of not being
> able to subset it across the grid boundary at 0° (180°?). Of course,
> this problem can be overcome by subsetting the data set prior to the
> creation of the grib file, but this is not always convenient.
>
> It appears that this problem has to be solved at NetCDF-java level. I do
> not think to be the only user to request this, so I am sure it is
> somewhere on the to-do list. May I please ask you for a timeline when
> that could be done.
>
> Thank you very much for considering this issue, HP

Ticket ID: IPI-729759
Department: Support netCDF Java