[netCDF #ISC-630350]: Installing on Mac OS X 10.6

Hi Marshall,

> I'm having trouble installing NetCDF on my Intel iMac. I'm running
> 32-bit Mac OS X 10.6. Is there a way to install NetCDF on my computer?
> Where can I download the proper distribution?

You didn't say if the problems are with the Fortran compiler you're
using.  If you only need a C interface, the 4.1.1 distribution (or the
4.1.2-beta1 distribution) builds "out of the box" using the standard
"./configure && make check && make install" sequence, so I'm assuming
you must be having problems with the Fortran API.

You also didn't say whether you want the netCDF-4 features (which
require you to install HDF5 first) or just need the netCDF-3 APIs and
formats.

No Fortran compiler comes with MacOS X, so people usually install
gfortran or g95 first.  We use g95 from the MacPorts project or
gfortran from hpc.sourceforge.net.

To build just netCDF-3 APIs from the 4.1.1 distribution (or the
current snapshot), this works for us:

  FC=g95 FCFLAGS=-m32 CXXFLAGS=-m32 CFLAGS=-m32 \
  ./configure --disable-netcdf-4
  make check install

If you want the netCDF-4 features, first install HDF5-1.8.5-patch1 or
later WHEREVER, then use

  FC=g95 FCFLAGS=-m32 CXXFLAGS=-m32 CFLAGS=-m32 \
  ./configure --enable-netcdf-4 --with-hdf5=WHEREVER
  make check install

If you want to use gfortran instead, it seems to require a 64-bit HDF5 library
but still works on 32-bit systems with

  FC=gfortran \
  ./configure --enable-netcdf-4 --with-hdf5=WHEREVER
  make check install

If one of these don't work, please send the information requested here
to address@hidden:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/netcdf-install/Reporting-Problems.html

Thanks.

--Russ