[netCDF #PHN-675115]: Installing Netcdf on MacOS 10.6.5 Snow Leopard

Hi Heather,

> I've tried all the examples I could find on your website and I'm still
> not able to get netcdf installed. I don't care which version I use,
> just version 3.0 or higher. I'm installing it to use with CDO (Climate
> Data Operators). Basically I'm getting stumped on the 'make' file which
> it can't seem to fins after I run the ./configure file.

If the ./configure script runs successfully, it creates a Makefile in
the same directory it was run from, as well as a bunch of Makefiles in
subdirectories.  If it didn't run successfully, it should have produced
an error message.

Here's some general infomation about building netCDF on Mac OS X:

If you only need a C interface, the 4.1.1 distribution (or the
4.1.2-beta1 distribution) builds "out of the box" using the standard
"./configure && make check && make install" sequence, so I'm assuming
you must be having problems with the Fortran API.

No Fortran compiler comes with MacOS X, so people usually install
gfortran or g95 first.  We use g95 from the MacPorts project or
gfortran from hpc.sourceforge.net.

To build just netCDF-3 APIs from the 4.1.1 distribution (or the
current snapshot), this works for us:

  FC=g95 FCFLAGS=-m32 CXXFLAGS=-m32 CFLAGS=-m32 \
  ./configure --disable-netcdf-4
  make check install

If you want the netCDF-4 features, first install HDF5-1.8.5-patch1 or
later WHEREVER, then use

  FC=g95 FCFLAGS=-m32 CXXFLAGS=-m32 CFLAGS=-m32 \
  ./configure --enable-netcdf-4 --with-hdf5=WHEREVER
  make check install

If you want to use gfortran instead, it seems to require a 64-bit HDF5 library
but still works on 32-bit systems with

  FC=gfortran \
  ./configure --enable-netcdf-4 --with-hdf5=WHEREVER
  make check install

If one of these don't work or if you have questions about whether running
./configure
worked, please send the information requested here to address@hidden:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/netcdf-install/Reporting-Problems.html

Thanks.