[netCDF #RTK-145327]: NetCDF compilation error, mpi.h

> Dear Russell,
>
> I've been trying to compile Trilinos with NetCDF support, but it
> always failed with with
>
> ================= *snip* =================
> [...]
> >> [ 41%] Built target Ioss
> >> [ 41%] Building CXX object
> >> packages/Trios/ioss/src/exodusII/CMakeFiles/Ioex.dir/Ioex_Internals.C.o
> >> /apps/antwerpen/turing/harpertown/software/impi/3.2.1.009/include64/mpi.h(122):
> >> error: invalid combination of type specifiers
> >>    typedef int MPI_Comm;
> >>                ^
> >>
> >> /apps/antwerpen/turing/harpertown/software/impi/3.2.1.009/include64/mpi.h(305):
> >> error: invalid combination of type specifiers
> >>    typedef int MPI_Info;
> >>                ^
> >>
> >> compilation aborted for
> >> /user/antwerpen/200/vsc20017/data/software/trilinos/dev/master/source/packages/Trios/ioss/src/exodusII/Ioex_Internals.C
> >> (code 2)
> >> make[2]: ***
> >> [packages/Trios/ioss/src/exodusII/CMakeFiles/Ioex.dir/Ioex_Internals.C.o]
> >> Error 2
> >> make[1]: ***
> >> [packages/Trios/ioss/src/exodusII/CMakeFiles/Ioex.dir/all] Error 2
> >> make: *** [all] Error 2
> ================= *snap* =================
>
> One of the Trilinos developers suggested this may be related to
> <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/known_problems.html#include_mpi_order>.
>
> Is there a known workaround yet? Would this bug still be present in
> the latest beta-version of NetCDF too?
>
> Cheers,
> Nico

Howdy Nico!

Sorry it has taken us so long to respond to your request. We have been swamped
in support these last few months.

I would first check to make sure that the netCDF you are using has been built
for parallel access. That requires that the underlying HDF5 library be built
with --enable-parallel, and that both HDF5 and netCDF are built with the same
MPI compiler wrapper you are using for your parallel I/O program.

I would strongly suggest you try the latest beta release, or the daily
snapshot. Much has changed with parallel I/O and these problems may disappear.

ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/snapshot/netcdf-4-daily.tar.gz

Please let me know if this doesn't work for you.

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: RTK-145327
Department: Support netCDF