[netCDF #KLE-374514]: help: install netcdf 4.1.1

Hi Jinyun,

> I have run into problems when I was trying to install netcdf 4.1.1 on
> opensuse 11.3. The error message reads as below.
>
> "configure: error: Can't find or link to the hdf5 library. Configure with
> --disable-netcdf-4 or see config.log for errors"
>
> I am sure I have hdf5, version 1.8.5.1 installed on my OS. I used the
> intel compiler with the following specifications I have installed netcf 4.0
> without any problem. But I want to install the most recent NCL, so I need to
> change to 4.1.1. I configure the install with the command "./configure
> --prefix=/usr",  where the files need to be linked are in /usr/lib.
>
> However, I failed. Would any of you give me some hint to solve the issue?
>
> I appreciate your help.
>
> the compiler setups are
> export CC=icc
> export CXX=icpc
> export CFLAGS='-O3 -xT -ip -no-prec-div -static'
> export CXXFLAGS='-O3 -xT -ip -no-prec-div -static'
>
> export F77=ifort
> export FC=ifort
> export F90=ifort
> export FFLAGS='-O3 -xT -ip -no-prec-div -static'
>
> export CPP='icc -E'
> export CXXCPP='icpc -E'

You need to specify to the configure script where to find the installed HDF5
library, using the --with-hdf5=... option.

Also, we've heard the "-xT" option may cause problems linking with ifort, so
if the Fortran tests fail due to not finding Fortran netCDF functions, you
might try omitting the "-xT".

--Russ

Ticket ID: KLE-374514
Department: Support netCDF