[netCDF #DVN-872354]: Error in compiling netcdf with ifort

Hi Ajay,

> I want to install netcdf with ifort compiler. Following are the variables
> that i set:
>
> export CC=icc
> export CXX=icpc
> export CFLAGS='-O3 -xT -ip -no-prec-div -no-multibyte-chars -m32 -w'
> export CXXFLAGS='-O3 -xT -ip -no-prec-div -no-multibyte-chars -m32 -w
> -Df2cFortran'
> export FC=ifort
> export F77=ifort
> export F90=ifort
> export FFLAGS='-O3 -xT -ip -no-prec-div -static'
> export LD=ifort
> export LDFLAGS='-fPIC' #-O3 -xT -ip -no-prec-div -static
> -no-multibyte-chars'#
> export CPPFLAGS='-DNDEBUG -DpgiFortran'
>
> But, I got a following error:
>
> checking if Fortran "byte" is C "signed char"... configure: error: Could
> not link conftestf.o and conftest.o
>
> I have no idea what to do in this regard. kindly, help me as soon as possible

First, check the "config.log" file to see if it gives a reason why
conftestf.o could not be linked with conftest.o.

One possibility is that your C compiler is producing 32-bit objects
(because you have "-m32" in CFLAGS) but your ifort Fortran compiler is
generating 64-bit objects (because you don't have -m64 in FFLAGS or
FCFLAGS).

Another reason we have seen for this in the past is a user having a
private "sort" command that the configure script makes use of as if it
were the Unix sort command, resulting in "Broken pipe" messages in the
config.log file.

If you can't figure out the cause from the error messages near the end
of config.log, please send us the information requested here:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/netcdf-install/Reporting-Problems.html

--Russ

Ticket ID: DVN-872354
Department: Support netCDF