[netCDF #GGI-666903]: question about standard grids in CF convention

John,

> Yes, it explains the situation.  Do you know of anyone using alternative
> approaches - what do modelers do?  I have a time series global grid 6km,
> about 10% of the grid with values. So every time step (i.e., netCDF file)
> repeats every lat-lon value for each grid point.  We are using custom clients
> that ignore the lat-lons and use grid/projection standard parameterization
> for proj-4 transformations.

Yes, the modelers for AR5 under the PCMDI project at LLNL are using GRIDSPEC,
which has been
proposed as a CF Conventions extension.  The approach taken there is to store
shared grid
specifications in a separate file.  The proposed enhancement is here:

  https://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/trac/ticket/63

There's also the approach of the THREDDS Data Server (TDS), which permits
datasets with well-specified
standard grids that are not CF compliant, as John Caron writes:

   The CDM/TDS uses netcdf/CF as a way to transfer binary information
   in WCS and other web services. Adding two-dim lat/lon fields can
   triple (worst case) the size of the file. For that reason CDM/TDS
   allows the user to specify if they want 2D lat/lon fields or
   not. This makes the files not strictly CF compliant, but we leave it
   to the client to decide what tradeoff they want.

   The point is that web service binary encoding is a use case likely
   not originally envisioned by the CF committee.

--Russ

Ticket ID: GGI-666903
Department: Support netCDF