[netCDFPerl #ZSI-672459]: netcdf-perl build failure

> Full Name: Bill Quinlan
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: 1.2.4
> Operating System: Debian Lenny 5.0.8
> Hardware: Dell PowerEdge R710
> Description of problem: I just built this server for Global Weather Corp who
> is working with Bill Myers and Seth Linden of UCAR.  I'm trying to install
> LDM for a weather model.
> I put the perl-5.10.0 source into /usr/local/src/perl-5.10.0
> I only modified CUSTOMIZE.
> Linux gothic 2.6.26-2-amd64 #1 SMP Tue Jan 25 05:59:43 UTC 2011 x86_64
> GNU/Linux
> /usr/bin/gcc
>
> INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS, step 3 says
> "The configure script will look for your installed netCDF package and for
> your perl package. If it can't find them, then it will tell you how to help
> it find them (via the variables mentioned
> above)."
> I did not install netcdf-3.6.3.  Instead, I was told to copy the libraries
> over from an existing machine.  But there was no complaint during the make,
> that I saw.
> Here are the lines of file with the errors.
> view /opt/src/netcdf-3.6.3/libsrc4/netcdf.h
> 335
> 336 EXTERNL int
> 337 nc_create_par(const char *path, int cmode, MPI_Comm comm, MPI_Info
> info,438
> 338               int *ncidp);
> 339
> 438
> 439 /* Get the number of fields in this compound type. */
> 440 EXTERNL int
> 441 nc_inq_compound_nfields(int ncid, nc_type xtype, size_t *nfieldsp);
> 442
>
> Thanks for any help.
> Bill

Howdy Bill!

It seems that you did not install the library from source but copied the files
from another machine. In that case, how are you finding libsrc4/netcdf.h
instead of the include/netcdf.h that you should have found on the machine you
copied from? In that version of netCDF, you cannot just grab the header file
from libsrc4, or from libsrc. The final netcdf.h file is built depending on
various configure options, and only the one installed in the include directory
is safe for use with the binary.

A good way to proceed would be to get the most recent release of netCDF, and
build it without netCDF-4 and remote data access (this is equivalent to the
3.6.3 release, but with bug fixes and build system upgrades). Get the release
here: ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.gz, and build it like
this: ./configure --disable-netcdf-4 --disable-dap && make check install

Let me know if this doesn't work.

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: ZSI-672459