[netCDF #IRL-397525]: trying to compile netcdf but it keeps failing

> Hey,
>
> I have tried to use netcdf-3.5.* all the way up to netcdf-4.1.2  and I cannot
> get them to compile.  I need it to use fPIC for a Matlab program.  Which I am
> not even sure I need to define with newer versions of netcdf.
>
> The machine I am trying to compile on it 64bit Redhat Enterprise Linux 5, the
> license I have for pgi is 32 bit.
>
> I am using PGI for my fortran compiler.   I have it located in
> /opt/pgi/Linux86/7.1-5/bin.  I know my path works because when I do a "which
> pgf90" it finds it immediately.
>
> I have tried the option "./configure"  and "./configure CFLAGS=-fPIC
> CPPFLAGS=-fPIC --enable-shared"  and
> "./configure CFLAGS=-fPIC CPPFLAGS='-fPIC -DpgiFortran' --enable-shared"
>
> But I can not for the life of me get it to compile when I run make.
>
> I get this error
>
> fort-attio.c:149: error: expected '{' at end of input
> make[3]: *** [fort-attio.lo] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/temp/netcdf-4.1.2/fortran'
> make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/temp/netcdf-4.1.2/fortran'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/temp/netcdf-4.1.2'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> I have even tried export CPPFLAGS=-DpgiFortran on the command line, running
> make distclean, and re running the configure scripts and that still does not
> work.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave
>
> David Rossman - address@hidden<mailto:address@hidden>
> IT Systems Programmer, Geology & Geophysics
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/daverossman
>
> Kline Geology Laboratory
> 210 Whitney Ave
> New Haven, CT 06511
> 203-432-3155
> NOTE: Yale ITS will NEVER request passwords or other personal information via
> email.  Messages requesting such information are fraudulent and should be
> deleted.

Hmm, that's really weird. I would like you to take a new copy of 4.1.2 and
untar it, and first try to build without fortran, like this:

./configure --disable-fortran --disable-dap --disable-netcdf-4 && make check

If that works, then try:

make distclean && FC=pgif90 ./configure --disable-dap --disable-netcdf-4 &&
make check

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: IRL-397525