[netCDF #WNF-359557]: netCDF4.1.2 configure can't find hdf5 lib

> Full Name: Darrin Sharp
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: netcdf.1.2
> Operating System: Linux CentOS 5 64b
> Hardware:
> Description of problem:
>
> I know this has come up before, but it's not clear which, if any, of
> the fixes in the archive will work for me. I've tried a couple of them
> to no avail.
>
> I've built hdf5 (with zlib) and am now trying to configure netCDF4.1.2.
>
> ./configure --with-hdf5=/usr/local --with-zlib=/usr/local --prefix=/usr/local
> --enable-netcdf-4
>
> But I get the following error:
>
> .
> .
> .
> checking whether we should try to build netCDF-4... yes
> checking for deflate in -lz... yes
> checking for H5Fflush in -lhdf5... no
> configure: error: Can't find or link to the hdf5 library. Configure with
> --with-hdf5, or use       --disable-netcdf-4, or see config.log for errors.
>
> I checked and libhdf5.a exists in /usr/local/lib:
>
> # ls -l /usr/local/lib/libhdf5.a
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5509138 Jun  9 11:31 /usr/local/lib/libhdf5.a
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thx,
> Darrin Sharp

Howdy Darrin!

Firstly, I suggest you get the release candidate for the 4.1.3 release and try
that:
ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-4.1.3-rc1.tar.gz

Build it slightly differently than 4.1.2 - you must set CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS
instead of using --with-hdf5 and --with-zlib. Instructions are here:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs_snapshot/netcdf-install.html#Quick-Instructions

Whenever something in the configure is not working, look for the part of the
config.log that contains the output of those tests and see what the compiler is
telling you about linking to HDF5. If it was statically linked and other
libraries were linked in, you might have to add them to LIBS.

Good luck,

Ed

Ticket ID: WNF-359557
Department: Support netCDF