[netCDF #QZC-115463]: Re: netCDF Operator

Hi Bastian,

> perhaps you can help me out here.  I try to test the netCDF operators on
> windows.
> 1. I downloaded cygwin
> 2. I downloaded die windows binaries from [1]
>
> I do not undestand the notes on [1]:
>
> "First install curl (in the "Web" category of Cygwin setup), and point
> the environment variable UDUNITS2_XML_PATH to the udunits2.xml file,
> e.g., with export
> UDUNITS2_XML_PATH='/usr/local/share/udunits/udunits2.xml'."
>
> Is only curl needed or Cygwin?

curl is a library needed only for the remote access netCDF OPeNDAP
client, which is optional.  If you do not need to access data from
remote OPeNDAP servers through a netCDF interface, and if you were
building from source on cygwin, then you would not need the curl
library.  However, since you are just using the NCO prebuilt Windows
binary for Cygwin, it apparently was built with OPeNDAP enabled, so it
needs the curl library.  So, you need both Cygwin and the curl library.

> I cannot find the file udunits2.xml on my machine (Windows 7). Where do
> I find it?

That is a configuration file for the "udunits2" library, to handle
units of measurement.  It's already present in the main Linux distos
since March 2011, according to this announcement, which also has a URL
from which it can be downloaded separately:

  http://old.nabble.com/-ITP--udunits-2.1.21-1-td31079247.html

Probably NCO doesn't just include the udunits2 library as part of the
NCO package, because it's already included in recent Linux distros,
so there's no need to build and install it again ...

> If I would get a hand on it, is a windows environment variable needed or
> an environment varibale in cygwin?

I think just a Cygwin environment variable, although I'm not sure what
the difference is, because I don't use Windows.

--Russ

> Thank you for your help.

Good luck, I hope this works.

> Regards,
> Bastian
>
> [1] http://nco.sourceforge.net/#Binaries
>
> Am 13.06.2011 14:53, schrieb Ben Domenico:
> > Hi Bastien,
> >
> > Thanks for trying to put a WPS wrapper around the netCDF operators.
> > I believe that a virtual environment like cygwin is needed to
> > implement them on Windows, but I am sending a copy of this to Russ
> > Rew,  a colleague who can direct you to better guidance.
> >
> > -- Ben
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 3:02 AM, Bastian Schäffer
> > <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
> >
> >     Dear Ben,
> >
> >     i tried to install the netCDF operators on a windows machine in
> >     order to test it for wrapping as WPS processes. I somehow failed
> >     to do it with the documentation provided on [1]. Do you have a
> >     technical person in your team that could help me out?
> >
> >     Regards,
> >     Bastian
> >
> >     [1] http://nco.sourceforge.net/#Binaries
> >
> >     --
> >     Bastian Schäffer
> >     52° North Initiative for Geospatial Open Source Software GmbH
> >     Martin-Luther-King-Weg 24
> >     Fon: +49-(0)-251–396371-41  Fax: +49-(0)-251–396371-11
> >     email: address@hidden
> >     52North-site: http://www.52North.org
> >     General Managers: Dr. Albert Remke, Dr. Andreas Wytzisk
> >     Local Court Muenster HRB 10849
> >

> --
> Bastian Schäffer
> 52° North Initiative for Geospatial Open Source Software GmbH
> Martin-Luther-King-Weg 24
> Fon: +49-(0)-251–396371-41  Fax: +49-(0)-251–396371-11
> email: address@hidden
> 52North-site: http://www.52North.org
> General Managers: Dr. Albert Remke, Dr. Andreas Wytzisk
> Local Court Muenster HRB 10849

Ticket ID: QZC-115463
Department: Support netCDF