[netCDF #UAK-176631]: ncdump with -x option fails

Hi Peter,

> When the attached nc4 file is dump using ncdump -h, and a new file is
> created using ncgen, the variable attributes that contain a string data
> type prefix are not instantiated in the file created by ncgen.

This is also related to the fact that the string type is not part of the netCDF
classic
model, and the default output foor ncgen is classic model netCDF files,
although I'm
surprised that it just omitted the string attributes, rather than an emitting
an error.

It works fine for me when I use the "-k netCDF-4" option to ncgen to explicitly
specify
output of a netCDF-4 format file:

  ncgen -k netCDF-4 -o tmp.nc tmp.cdl

where tmp.cdl is the output of ncdump on your netCDF-4 file, and tmp.nc is the
resulting
netCDF-4 file.

--Russ

Ticket ID: UAK-176631