[netCDF #WOK-766024]: variables violate format constraints error

> Hi, I don't know if this is the right place or if you can help at all...
>
> I am running a fairly standard large atmospheric program (CMAQ), which has
> run fine many times, but is now crashing with a netCDF-related error
> message:
>
> ncendef:      Error putting netCDF file into data mode.
> netCDF error number  -62  processing file "S_CGRID"
> NetCDF: One or more variable sizes violate format constraints
>
> This is using Portland Group Fortran.
>
> Output files are very large, but the program run successfully wrote a 60-GB
> output.
>
> The file that causes it to crash has the following dimensions:
>
> 255 x 50 x 218 x236    (= 655,962,000)
>
> Is there any way to modify netCDF to prevent this error? (Allow larger
> limits, etc.)?
>
> Since this is a 'canned' program, it will be very hard to change the code.
>
> Please let me know if anything can be done about this.
>
> Sandy Sillman  769-0359

> Sanford Sillman  (Sandy)
> Department of Atmospheric, Oceanic and Space Sciences
> 2455 Hayward Street, Room 1541C SRB
> University of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI 48109-2143 (USA)
>
> PHONE:  734-763-4217       FAX: 734-936-0503 (best)  or 734-764-4585
> E-MAIL:  address@hidden
> WEB SITE:  http://www-personal.umich.edu/~sillman

Have you recently increased your resolution?

The error that you are getting indicates that you are trying to create a
variable that does not fit in the constraints of the classic netCDF format (see
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf.html#Classic-Limitations).

The answer is to switch to a different netCDF format. (This is transparent to
reading programs, as long as they have a recent enough version of the netCDF
library.) The different binary formats are explained here:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-tutorial.html#Versions

To change the format you must find the nf_create call and change the cmode
flag. For more info see:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-f90/NF90_005fCREATE.html#NF90_005fCREATE
 or
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-f77/NF_005fCREATE.html#NF_005fCREATE.