[netCDF #UUU-464946]: Using netCDF data for hydrology

> We are trying to set up a snowmelt and rainfall runoff model for a basin
> in CA.  We will be using the Army Corps of Engineers HEC-Hydrologic
> Modeling System which only reads .dss files.  We can create .dss files
> from asci files.  The problem is the all of the different types of data
> comes in different grid types, sizes and projections.  We are trying to
> write a program that will take in all types, convert it to .dss and feed
> it into the model with minimal human intervention.
>
> We downloaded Quantitative Precip Estimate and QPForecast data.  I also
> downloaded FAN and ran nc2text.  I
>
> I lot of data ran on the screen but I could not figure out how to write an
> ascii file.  I tried nc2text filename.nc filename.asc   and filename.out
> and filename.txt etc etc.  How do I write a file?
>
> I am trying to determine for QPF data -  What is the cell size,
> coordinates of the lower left corner or upper left.  (I understand
> meteorologists reference the center of the grid cell and hydrologist
> use the lower left corner.)  What is the projection, 0,0 coordinates,
> is it HRAP, Polar, square, degree x degree, meters etc.
>
> Thanks for your assistance!
>
> Ted Cassidy
> Dewberry Engineers
> 916 380-3775
>
> Visit Dewberry’s website at www.dewberry.com
>
> This email transmission may contain confidential or privileged information.
> If you receive this email message in error, notify the sender by email and
> delete
> the email without reading, copying or disclosing the email contents. The
> unauthorized use or dissemination of any confidential or privileged
> information
> contained in this email is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient
> and intentionally intercept or forward this message to someone else,
> you may be subject to criminal and/or civil penalties.  See 18 U.S.C. 2511 et
> seq.

Howdy Ted!

I'm afraid I cannot be of much help in this situation. I am not familiar with
dss files, or the tools that you mention. If you use the ncdump command, you
can convert a netCDF file to text, but this may not be a format easily digested
by your other programs, and still does not deal with the problems of
projections and grids. As far as I know, unless the data sets are part of a
well-formulated set of conventions (like the CF conventions), there will not be
a general way of converting from one grid to another.

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: UUU-464946
Department: Support netCDF