[netCDF #QST-593790]: Fortran NETCDF LIBRARY

Hi Conrado,

> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-f77/index.html#Top
>
> show the The NetCDF Fortran 77 Interface Guide
>
> and:
>
> Datasets
>
> * Datasets Introduction
> * NetCDF Library Interface Descriptions
> * NF_STRERROR

> I downloaded the netCDF, version 4.1.3 and I would like know
> where the libraries for Dataset, Groups, etc are install. To read
> Netcdf data.

The Fortran-77 netCDF library is included with the 4.1.3 version, and can be
installed after building the libraries from source.  To build and test the F77
library, which calls the netCDF C library, you will need a C compiler and a
Fortran compiler.  After building and testing the libraries with "make check",
you can install them with "make install".  By default, version 4.1.3 uses
shared libraries and builds separate C and Fortran libraries.

If you don't want to build from source, there are package systems such as
yum (for Linux) that make available prebuilt libraries with the libraries
they depend on.

There are two different data models and associated formats for netCDF.  Most
available data is stored using the "netCDF classic" data model and format,
which is simpler to build and use.  There is also a more advanced "netCDF-4"
data format that has features such as Groups and user-defined types, but that
version depends on first installing other libraries, such as the HDF5 library.

For more details on building, testing, and installing the approriate version,
see the Installation and Porting Guide:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/netcdf-install.html

For more information on the two data models and associated formats, see either
the FAQ section:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/faq.html#formats-and-versions

or the section on data models and formats in the online netCDF workshop:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/workshops/2011/datamodels/index.html

--Russ

Ticket ID: QST-593790
Department: Support netCDF