[netCDF #OOJ-683540]: Building NetCDF with szlib

Hi Thorwald,

> I'm struggling building NetCDF with szip (and HDF5).
> My best attempt seems to get through ./configure and make successfully,
> but fails midway through make check (see logs attached).
>
> In the directory /home/clouds/cosp.v1.3.2/config I have the following
> libraries installed (with --disable-shared):
> hdf5-1.8.7
> szip-2.1
> zlib-1.2.5
> udunits-2.1.24
> uuid-1.6.2
>
> After trawling through several online support discussions, I decided to
> try install the latest snapshot (2011111419), which compiled okay but
> lacked the fortran libraries I need.

If you've successfully built and installed the netCDF C library from the
snapshot,
getting the Fortran libraries is pretty easy.  Just download the (now separate)
netCDF Fortran release from here:

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-fortran-4.2.tar.gz

and run the configure script, specifying with LDFLAGS or LD_LIBRARY_PATH where
the
C netCDF library is installed.  By giving a --prefix option to the configure
script, you can specify where the Fortran libraries should be installed, if
/usr/local isn't right:

  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include ./configure
--prefix=/where/ever/...

Then run "make check" and "make install" to install the Fortran libraries.

To link Fortran applications, you will need something like -L/usr/inlcude
-lnetcdff -lnetcdf
to specify the separate netCDFFortran library before the netCDF C library.

--Russ

Ticket ID: OOJ-683540
Department: Support netCDF