[netCDF #VAZ-231246]: Netcdf

Dave,

> I downloaded the Microsoft RPC for Windows from
> http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=274.  This was
> published in 2006 so is 5 years old and indicates only being supported
> on XP and earlier system.  I am using Windows 7 and tried to install and
> received the report that there were known compatibility issues for which
> Microsoft did not have a solution.
>
> I looked at other Windows RPC implementations listed in the wikipedia
> page, but they were commercial products for which I would have to pay.

Yes, but there's still a large community of developers actively using and
maintaining tools and libraries associated with the Microsoft Windows
Services for UNIX (SFU) and later Subsystem for Unix-based Applications
(SUA):

  http://www.suacommunity.com/SUA.aspx

There may be freely available downloads there from which you could get
an rpc library complete enough for what's needed from rpc/types.h.

In the meantime, I've asked Dennis whether we can eliminate any dependency
on rpc/types.h for the sake of portability, since we may only be using a
small part of it that can be copied into the netCDF library source.

Support for Unix software on Windows has been getting more difficult lately,
with Windows apparently abandonding the market for academic and scientific
users, as chronicled here:

  http://brianreiter.org/2011/09/15/sua-deprecated-in-windows-8/

As you probably know, Unidata is currently trying to recruit and hire a
developer to make netCDF portable to Windows again and make it easy to
build there, since we lost those talents in October when our Windows guru
was lured away to a different organization.  The job description for that
replacement position makes it clear that we consider making netCDF
portable to Windows again is a high priority, although some other free
software efforts have given up on that platform.

--Russ

> On 1/5/2012 3:10 PM, Unidata netCDF Support wrote:
> > Hi Dave,
> >
> >> Reporting on the attempts we made.  The first error in the release build
> >> was a missing file rpc/types.h.  I found a file like this on the
> >> internet and put in a folder rpc I created in C:\Program Files\Microsoft
> >> Visual Studio 9.0\VC\include used by visual studio.
> >>
> >> The next problem was that the types.h I had found wanted a features.h.
> >> I found one on the internet and put it in C:\Program Files\Microsoft
> >> Visual Studio 9.0\VC\include too.
> >>
> >> The problem is this wanted an include bits/uClibc_config.h.  I could
> >> continue on this path but am concerned that I may not be getting the
> >> right files and would prefer to have the types.h, features.h etc that
> >> netcdf uses rather than whatever I can locate on the internet.
> > The code you need is an ONC RPC library for Windows, see:
> >
> >    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Network_Computing_Remote_Procedure_Call
> >
> > As that article reports,
> >
> >    Implementations of ONC RPC exist in most Unix-like systems. Microsoft
> > supplies
> >    an implementation for Windows in their Microsoft Windows Services for
> > UNIX
> >    product; in addition, a number of third-party implementation of ONC RPC
> > for
> >    Windows exist, including versions for C/C++, Java, and .NET (see
> > external links).
> >
> > That's the Microsoft produc t I was trying to think of on the phone call
> > this morning,
> > the Microsoft Windows Services for UNIX.  If you install that, I think
> > you'll have
> > rpc/types.h and everything referenced by other include files it includes.
> >
> > That may solve some other portability problems with netCDF on Windows as
> > well ...
> >
> > Please let us know if that gets you further.
> >
> > --Russ
> >

> > Russ Rew                                         UCAR Unidata Program
> > address@hidden                      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu
> >

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: VAZ-231246
> > Department: Support netCDF