[netCDF #TWY-871356]: License question

Andrew,

> thanks for these precisions. I suggest that you should distribute your
> libraries under the Lesser GPL which does what you want it to in the case of
> libraries, in that the library remains always "GPL" but may be linked into
> any programme and distributed under a commercial or other license.
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html

Thanks for your suggestion.  We considered an LGPL versus MIT open source
license some time ago and decided to go with MIT-style, because it puts
fewer restrictions on use of the software for use in products.

I corresponded with Richard Stallman in 1996 about the netCDF open source
license and took his advice at the time to change a requirement to a request
in the netCDF Copyright text.  We haven't had need to change the license since
then, and it has served us very well.

--Russ

Ticket ID: TWY-871356
Department: Support netCDF