[netCDF #XBT-452987]: installing netcdf with mpif90

> Full Name: ZHUO LIU
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: netcdf 4.1.3
> Operating System: mac osx lion/Xcode4.3
> Hardware: mac pro 3.2 ghz quad-core intel xeon
> Description of problem:
>
> dear Sir/madam,
>
> How are you.
Hi,

> I have a problem to install netcdf 4.1.3 with openmpi, I have openmpi
> installed on  /Users/george/tmp/gopenmpi, now I download netcdf 4.1.3
> and installed it with the following commands,
>
> ./configure FC=/Users/george/tmp/gopenmpi/bin/mpif90
> CC=/Users/george/tmp/gopenmpi/bin/mpicc
> CXX=/Users/george/tmp/gopenmpi/bin/mpicxx CFLAGS=-m64 CXXFLAGS=-m64
> FFLAGS=-m64 FCFLAGS=-m64 F90=/Users/george/tmp/gopenmpi/bin/mpif90
> -prefix=/usr/local_parallel -enable-netcdf-4
>
> The config.log is attached.
>
> Then I typed make |&tee make.res, it seems successful, make.res is
> also attached.
>
> Then I execute: make check |&tee check.res
> I got errors that,
>
> Please see the attachment check.res
>
> Please help me to find where it is wrong.
> Your help is appreciated.

I think you need to include CPPFLAGS="-DpgiFortran" in the environment
variables before running the configure script, because the cfortran.h include
file used for representing
how the Fortran compiler calls the C compiler does not include a test for the
"mpif90"
compiler, which uses the same conventions as the pgi f90 compiler.

An alternative solution would be to use the new netCDF 4.2 release to compile
and install
just the C library.  Then you would use the netCDF-Fortran 4.2 or 4.4-beta1
release to
install the Fortran library, telling it where the C library is.  The netCDF-4.2
Fortran
still uses the cfortran.h definitions and so requires the
CPPFLAGS="-DpgiFortran"
definitions when you are building the C libraries, but if you try the 4.4-beta1
netCDF
Fortran library, it doesn't need cfortran.h or the CPPFLAGS definition.

--Russ

Ticket ID: XBT-452987
Department: Support netCDF