[netCDF #TTQ-845240]: nc-config problems with daily snapshot

Hi Charlie,

> I installed the latest netCDF snapshot today.
> The nc-config installed chokes badly on my Linux system when called
> from within a GNU Makefile. The "type -p" built-ins in nc-config
> emit lots of messages when nf-config and ncxx-config are not
> installed. This brings make to a standstill. It would probably work fine
> if I had nf-config and ncxx-config installed but I don't.

Oops, sorry about that.  It's supposed to work whether or not
nf-config or ncxx-config are installed, but wasn't tested under all
combinations.

> The "type -p" syntax used by nc-config looks correct to me,
> nevertheless it fails badly in the circumstances I describe so
> a patch is necessary. The attached nc-config file works for me.
> Search for "csz" and you'll see the changes.

OK, thanks, but just testing for "-f nf-config" doesn't work for me.
The intent is to test whether "nf-config" is installed in the execution
path, rather than in the current directory, but it's not supposed to
complain if not found.  I've replaced

  if type -p nf-config; then

with

  if type -p nf-config > /dev/null 2>&1; then

and similarly for ncxx-config, and now it seems to do what was intended.

Of course what really needs to be changed is the nc-config.in file, which
is used to generate nc-config when the configure script is run.  I've
attached a new version of nc-config.in, in case you want to test this
version with your makefiles.  To test just this little script, you would
need to run all of "./configure && make check && make install".

I also made another fix so "nc-config --all" works as intended.

I'm checking it into the snapshot, so you can just get instead.

--Russ

Ticket ID: TTQ-845240
Department: Support netCDF