[netCDF #MJR-379092]: more information about segmentation fault in ncdump when dumping HDF5 string

Kent,

> > Fixed-size HDF5 string is very commonly used inside HDF5 files that users
> > are interested in making netCDF-4 to access.
> > I happened to find an old  report regarding this issue. The student did
> > some investigations and provided a patch for the netcdf-4 package.
> > Hopefully this can help you guys fix the bug.
> >
> > Check
> > ftp://ftp.hdfgroup.uiuc.edu/pub/outgoing/ymuqun/temp/netcdf_seg_fault/old-report/
> >

> > especially README can help you get started.
>
> Yes, that's very helpful, although the fix has become more complex since we
> added a
> dispatch layer.  Nevertheless, I'll commit to getting the fix into the 4.2.1
> release,
> which we're aiming to make available in the next two or three weeks.
>
> Another complication is our inability to include a simple test that just uses
> the
> netCDF-4 API, because our data model doesn't support HDF5's fixed-length
> string
> type.  Nevertheless, we may be able to just include a simple HDF5 file that
> uses
> it to make sure we can read it.

Although I already responded to the earlier ticket, I'm also responding to and
closing
this one.  I'm not including a test .h5 file in the distribution, but instead
generating
one as part of the test program for the fixes ...

--Russ