[netCDF #RVI-390499]: problems installing netcdf-fortran-4.2

Hi Allie,

> Package Version: 4.2
> Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6.8
> Hardware: 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
> Description of problem: Hello, I'm trying to build netcdf fortran
> libraries using gcc and the Intel fortran compiler.  The c-libraries
> seem to build OK, but when I run make check on the fortran package,
> I get a bunch of Undefined symbols errors like these:
>
> Undefined symbols:
> "_netcdf_mp_nf90_def_var_scalar_", referenced from:
> _MAIN__ in tst_f90.o
> "_netcdf_mp_nf90_put_att_text_", referenced from:
> _MAIN__ in tst_f90.o
> _MAIN__ in tst_f90.o
> _MAIN__ in tst_f90.o
> _MAIN__ in tst_f90.o
> _MAIN__ in tst_f90.o
> _MAIN__ in tst_f90.o
> _MAIN__ in tst_f90.o
> _MAIN__ in tst_f90.o
> _MAIN__ in tst_f90.o
> _MAIN__ in tst_f90.o
> _MAIN__ in tst_f90.o
> _MAIN__ in tst_f90.o
> "_netcdf_mp_nf90_open_", referenced from:
> _MAIN__ in tst_f90.o
> and the following:
> ld: symbol(s) not found
> make[2]: *** [tst_f90] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [check-am] Error 2
> make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1

After building the C netCDF library, you need to install it with "make install".
Then you can build the Fortran libraries, specifying where the C netCDF library
is installed with something like:

  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include ./configure
  make check

assuming the C libraries were installed in /usr/local (the default).  If you
used
--prefix= option to specify where to install C libraries, then substitute that
for
"/usr/local" in above.

For more detailed installation instructions, see:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/netcdf-fortran-install.html

--Russ

Ticket ID: RVI-390499
Department: Support netCDF