[netCDF #UYL-334118]: FAIL: run_tests.sh

> So I ignore this -lsz and tried to again.
> The config seemed to work (again attached).

Yes, sorry about that, the "-lsz" should not have been included in LIBS
if the HDF5 library was not built with szlib, and that's not needed for
netCDF-4.

> Compilation failed though with this error msg:
> libtool: link: gcc -shared  -fPIC -DPIC  .libs/libnetcdf_la-stub.o
> -Wl,--whole-archive ../libdispatch/.libs/libnetcdf2.a
> ../libdispatch/.libs/libdispatch.a ../libsrc/.libs/libnetcdf3.a
> ../libdap2/.libs/libdap2.a ../oc/.libs/liboc.a
> ../libsrc4/.libs/libnetcdf4.a -Wl,--no-whole-archive  -Wl,-rpath
> -Wl,/usr/local/hdf5/lib -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/local/hdf5/lib
> -L/usr/local/hdf5/lib -L/usr/local/hdf4/lib -L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
> /usr/local/hdf4/lib/libmfhdf.a /usr/local/hdf4/lib/libdf.a -ljpeg
> /usr/local/hdf5/lib/libhdf5_hl.so /usr/local/hdf5/lib/libhdf5.so -lrt -lm
> -lz /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcurl-gnutls.so  -O2   -Wl,-soname
> -Wl,libnetcdf.so.7 -o .libs/libnetcdf.so.7.2.0
> /usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/hdf4/lib/libmfhdf.a(mfsd.o): relocation R_X86_64_32
> against `.rodata.str1.1' can not be used when making a shared object;
> recompile with -fPIC
> /usr/local/hdf4/lib/libmfhdf.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[1]: *** [libnetcdf.la] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/home/saulo/extra_software/netcdf-4.2.1.1/liblib'
> make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
>
> Any idea how can I fix this?

You could try including "-fPIC" in CFLAGS before running configure when
compiling HDF4.  Alternatively, building HDF4 as a shared library may work.

Sorry we don't have a definitive answer for this.  Currently our test build
with HDF4 is not working on our snapshot release, although I believe it was
working with 4.2.1.1.

Of course another solution would be to build without --enable-hdf4, but I'm
assuming you have a need for the limited HDF4 reading capabilities in the
netCDF-4 C libraries.

--Russ

Ticket ID: UYL-334118
Department: Support netCDF