[netCDF #ZPF-558392]: Follow up questions of Netcdf CPP

Si,

> I have some follow-up questions related to the CPP version of new
> Netcdf.
>
> I saw you released some "Legacy NetCDF-3 C++ Source Code" on the
> following page to get the backward compatibility.
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/netcdf/netcdf-cxx/index.jsp

That's just the old C++ API, in its entirety.  It still works for
netCDF-3 access, as far as our testing can determine.

> Can the two packages ("NetCDF-4 C++ Source Code" and "Legacy NetCDF-3
> C++ Source Code") coexist?

They are separate libraries, so you can install both of them in the same
directory.  However, I don't think we test that currently, so it's possible
that there is a bug in implementing that plan.  If you see a problem with
the libraries and include files being installed in the same directories,
please let us know.

> If not, does that mean I always need twos separate folders/directories
> to keep them?

No, that is not the intention.

> I saw I have to use "#include<netcdf>" instead of "#include
> <netcdfcpp.h>".

Right, that's for the netCDF-4 release, whereas netcdfcpp.h is for
the legacy netCDF-3 C++ release.

> Do you have a list of all necessary changes I need to have?

No, sorry, the netCDF-4 C++ library was contributed to us as a volunteer
effort.  It's fairly carefully documented here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/cxx4/

with a Tab for "Examples".  We are making the library available, and are
making updates as they are made available from Lynton Appel, the author.

--Russ

Ticket ID: ZPF-558392
Department: Support netCDF