[netCDF #VEW-543105]: Problems accessing OPeNDAP URL on this 4.3 TDS with NCDUMP

Hi Rich,

> I can't see anything wrong with this OPeNDAP dataset served on our TDS
> 4.3 server.
>
> http://testbedapps-dev.sura.org/thredds/dodsC/auto/in.usf.fvcom.ike.ultralite.vardrag.nowave.2d.html
>
> Yet when I try to use the latest NCDUMP I have (from netcdf library
> version 4.2.1.1) I get an error:
>
> $ ncdump -h
> http://testbedapps-dev.sura.org/thredds/dodsC/auto/in.usf.fvcom.ike.ultralite.vardrag.nowave.2d
> syntax error, unexpected WORD_STRING, expecting WORD_WORD
> context: Error { code = 500; message = "Variable name (h) must be
> unique within Group "^;};
> ncdump:
> http://testbedapps-dev.sura.org/thredds/dodsC/auto/in.usf.fvcom.ike.ultralite.vardrag.nowave.2d:
> NetCDF: Malformed or inaccessible DAP DDS

Hmm, if I try ncdump from either version 4.2.1.1 or the current snapshot, I get
a different (but equally
interesting) error:

  trunk$ ncdump -h
http://testbedapps-dev.sura.org/thredds/dodsC/auto/in.usf.fvcom.ike.ultralite.vardrag.nowave.2d
nclistlength(connode->subnodes) <= nclistlength(fullnode->subnodes)

  ncdump: cdf3.c:482: mapnodes3r: Assertion
`dappanic("nclistlength(connode->subnodes) <=
nclistlength(fullnode->subnodes)")' failed.
  Abort(coredump)

> If I try the same thing with an older version of NCDUMP ( from netcdf
> version 4.1.1), it works fine:

Likewise, I verified that the 4.1.1 ncdump -h works fine here, too.

> rsignell@gam:~$ ncdump -h
> http://testbedapps-dev.sura.org/thredds/dodsC/auto/in.usf.fvcom.ike.ultralite.vardrag.nowave.2d
> netcdf in.usf.fvcom.ike.ultralite.vardrag.nowave {
> dimensions:
> time = UNLIMITED ; // (1081 currently)
> DateStrLen = 26 ;
> nele = 826866 ;
> node = 417642 ;
> siglay = 5 ;
> three = 3 ;
> variables:
> double time(time) ;
>
> What's up with that?

It looks like a bug.  I'm CC:ing Dennis in case he knows a fix for it ...

--Russ

Ticket ID: VEW-543105
Department: Support netCDF