[netCDF #QRL-229735]: ndump crashes

Hi Lynton,

> I have a problem with the ncdump facility
> when I run it I get the following error
>

> $ ncdump efitOut.nc >efitOut.txt
> NetCDF: Invalid argument
> Location: file dumplib.c; line 981
>
> I attach the netcdf input file and output file from ncdump.
>
> It appears that ncdump is crashes due to enumerated type.
> I am using netcdf version 4.2. Are you aware of this kind of problem?

It looks like ncdump is reporting that the value it's reading is not a valid
value for the enum type.  Specifically, the enum type is defined for values
1, 2, 3, and 4 using a byte base type, but the actual value read from the
netCDF file
is 0.  So ncdump tries to find 0 in the table of symbols for the enum, doesn't
find
it, and reports that with the error return corresponding to "Invalid argument",
as
there isn't a netCDF error code for invalid enum value.

NC_ERANGE might have been a more appropriate error code to return, but that ship
has sailed, because changing the error code might break backward compatibility.

There may be an error involved in how a 0 was written to the file for a value
of
that enum type.  If you have a small example that defines data of that type and
writes a zero value instead of a valid enum value without returning an error,
that would be a bug we could fix.

> One other thing while I remember, please can you update me if there is
> any resolution of the bug that was affecting my C++ API development.

Sorry, I've heard nothing from the HDF5 group on a fix, but I should ping them
about it again, in case it's fallen through the cracks.  I'm actually meeting
with an HDF5 developer on Tuesday, and will bring it up with him as well.

--Russ

Ticket ID: QRL-229735
Department: Support netCDF